Popular Posts

Monday, June 13, 2011

Welcome, my blurry audience

A little bit of background.  I'm male, in my early thirties, and thanks to bad mangement in my 20s, my Type I diabetes has given me proliferativer diabetic neuropathy.  If you don't know what that means, don't worry --  spellcheck doesn't, either.  Basically, it means my retinas have lost the ability to see detail, as if the world was a JPEG that's been blown up too much.  I'm not totaly bind, though -- only legally blind.  Legally blind covers a lot of territory, so I'll give you the metrics and an illistration.  My "good" is is 20/350, and my "bad" eye is like looking through a sheet of waxed paper.  To write this blog I'm using a screen magnifier on a 32-inch "monitor" which came with a remote control and could, theoretically, pick up ESPN.

Now, I've said al this to a great many people in the six or so months since my eyes really got bad, not to powerload pity points, but so that people understand my perspective (or lack thereof). 

And that is the reason I'm stating this blog.  I'm going to talk about the tools, the experiences, and the problems I'm experiencing due to this handicap.  Mostly, it will center around my work and my job, but these things touch other areas in my life, so you'll get to meet my wife (who drives me to work), friends (who help me with things I can't do by myself_, and, occasonaly, the frustrations I run into.

So welcome to my world, each and every blurry one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment